Sunday, November 26, 2006

Convenience Gallery: Day 13


I took these photographs the other night when Leslie and I visited the gallery. I was so astonished at how great the piece looks at night. I want to take photos of the work throughout the day in all different kinds of lighting conditions - kind of like Bernd and Hilla Becher and their collections. I will be collecting light instead of buildings. So I guess it would be more like Monet (not very avant garde at all). And, now that I think of it, I remember seeing a very generic poster in a restaurant of lots of doors, a collection of doors, arranged side-by-side, up and down, all pretty and colourful, like the doors of a seaside town in Spain or Mexico. Pretty, beautiful doors. Sheesh, if I were to cancel any idea I have based on if it's been done before, I don't think I'd ever get around to doing anything at all.

I'm also present to a new problem: how do I complete an installation? Ordinarily, I just wait until it's time to take it down, hope that enough people see it, and take pictures while it's up. That's such a sad process, kind of like seeing a vase full of flowers slowly die. Eventually, they just have to be thrown out. How can I complete the process of the installation, so that there is nothing left to be said? I have made a promise on this very website, to track the development of the artwork from conception to completion. Well, when is completion? I never thought of that.

Photo: Drawing Research: Photo Documentation (Installation of Convenience Drawing), 2006

No comments: