Sunday, November 19, 2006

Convenience Gallery: Day 5




I have a few minutes to write my description and title of the work to send to Scott for the announcement going out online next week. The title: Convenience Drawing: One plane of horizontal stripes drawn in perspective and arced to the right (or, where does it lead?), 2006. I love long titles. They confound typesetters and publication designers. Ha ha. OK. Now, for the text about the work. Let's see if I can be eloquent (ahem):

"Convenience Drawing: One plane of horizontal stripes drawn in perspective and arced to the right (or, where does it lead?) continues Peterson's drawing research, her investigation into how we create and perceive space. For this site, Peterson writes: "I want the space inside the window to feel like it's bending to the right, so extremely that people will want to push through the glass to see something on the right edge of the window. That will have people pressed up to the glass, so wanting to get into the space behind the glass, that it's uncomfortable." Peterson traces the complete development of Convenience Drawing, from nothing to something, on a companion website, www.drawingresearch.com, including diagrams, texts and photo-concepts of the finished work. Peterson is also this year's Lynn Donoghue Memorial Artist-in-Residence at Spadina Museum, and her installation, Portal, is on display at the museum until January."

That works. Now I've got to work out the dimensions for the strips so I can go buy the vinyl I need. I've made a diagram (of course) with the measurements for ease of use. It seems like so much vinyl, 33.75 feet, but then again, the window is quite large. I'm in for a treat. Thankfully I'll be putting the vinyl on the inside of the window rather than the outside. I hate vinyl installation in the cold.

Photo: Drawing Research: Diagram showing vinyl strip measurements for Convenience Drawing, 2006

No comments: