Thursday, October 9, 2008

St. Clair West Transit Improvement Project: Day 11





I have been working on these drawings on and off for several days now, my first proposal for the St. Clair West Transit Improvement Project. These are two views, left and right, of one proposal for a transit shelter on the St. Clair West streetcar line. I have been commissioned by the TTC to submit two distinct proposals for the shelter artwork, four printed glass panels that will be mounted above the shelters in a long row. Each panel measures 116 7/8 x 27 7/8 in. (approximately 9.75 x 2.4 ft.).

My challenge is developing two different proposals. Until now, I have considered the final design of any drawing installation to be the essential design, the only true possibility that the architecture has provided. I must now either modify this philosophy or abandon it.

The second proposal is in conflict with the first. It is an opposition. It must distinguish itself somehow from the simplicity of its former.

No comments: